SNAP - Retailer Information

To apply for authorization to accept SNAP benefits in Nevada you must call or write the Western Region, Food and Nutrition (FNS) retailer certification field office (877-823-4369) for Nevada at the following address:

    USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS)
    Los Angeles Field Office
    360 East Second Street, Suite 705
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

    Phone: (213) 894-7834
    Fax: (213) 894-7838

      The field office will provide you an application form and information about authorizing your firm's participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program. You cannot accept any SNAP benefits until your firm is authorized by USDA.

        The field office has up to 30 days to approve or deny authorization to accept SNAP benefits. In addition, you may be asked to visit the FNS field office for a personal interview or, visited by a SNAP representative before you are authorized to accept SNAP benefits.

          A store may be authorized to stock and sell an ample variety of staple foods in all four categories of foods (frozen or fresh).

          • Breads, Cereals, Rice, Pasta, Crackers, Pastries, Flour, etc.
          • Dairy products such as Milk, Cheese, Butter, Yogurt, Ice Cream, Sherbet, etc.
          • Fruit and Vegetables.
          • Meat, Poultry and Fish.
          • Fruit trees, plants and seeds to grow food to eat are considered food items.

          Once authorized to accept SNAP benefits, it is important to train employees to ensure they understand the regulations for retail handling and processing of SNAP benefits. For example:

            • Sales tax cannot be charged on items bought with SNAP benefits.
            • If a recipient is using an EBT card, identification is not required.

            A retailer found to be accepting SNAP benefits for credit accounts or committing other violations or fraud is in violation of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) regulations and can be disqualified from participation or prosecuted under federal law.

              For more information for retail authorization contact: