USDA Food and Nutrition Service Announces
expansion of its online purchasing efforts in the Supplemental Nutrition
Assistance Program (SNAP). USDA is working diligently to bring smaller,
independent grocery stores on board the SNAP Online Purchasing Pilot.
- Beginning March 10, 2022 Albertsons will launch with 21 stores in California.
note – Albertsons will expand to an additional 304 stores in AR, AZ, CA, CO,
ID, LA, NM, NV, OR, TX, UT, WA and WY beginning 3/24.
States that may wish to coordinate publicity or messaging with the
Albertsons marketing team can contact Debra Ceffalio at email@example.com.
Using Your SNAP Benefits:
- SNAP benefits are used like cash at authorized stores.
- SNAP benefits can only be used to buy food, and plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat.
- SNAP benefits can be used by the elderly and their spouses, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients
and their spouses, and homeless households to purchase meals at approved restaurants, congregate eating
sites, and from meals on wheels.
SNAP Benefits CANNOT be used for:
NOTE: Bakery items such as cakes, pies, pastries, etc. may be purchased with SNAP benefits.
All food products and drinks you buy with SNAP benefits are exempt from sales tax.
Tips for SNAP Shoppers:
- Only food and plants or seeds to grow plants for food may be purchased with SNAP benefits.
- SNAP benefits are accepted by most grocers. Stores authorized to accept them are usually identified by
- Your EBT card and PIN number should not be given to another person, especially
a minor child. Once the account is accessed for a purchase by anyone, benefits cannot be restored.
- Your check-out at the grocery store will be easier if you separate the foods you will buy with SNAP
benefits from the other items you will buy with cash.
- Infant formula may be purchased with SNAP benefits.
- Ice and drinking water may be purchased with SNAP benefits.
- Non-food items (diapers, soap, medicine, paper goods, pet food, etc.) cannot be purchased with SNAP benefits.
- Alcoholic beverages, cigarettes or other tobacco products cannot be purchased with SNAP benefits