After You Apply

After you Apply

After your interview, the Welfare Office will a send you a Determination of Eligibility letter in the mail explaining your monthly benefit amount and the term of benefits before you are required to reapply. If you did not qualify for SNAP benefits, the letter will provide you an explanation.  If you believe your application has been wrongly denied or the determined monthly benefit amount and or term is incorrect, you can contact your local Welfare Office and request a Fair Hearing.

    Receiving Your SNAP Benefits:

    If you are eligible, you will be able to access your SNAP benefits no later than 30 days from the date the office received your application.  If you have very little or no income for the month and you need help right away, you may qualify for SNAP benefits within 7 days.  

    After you have been approved for benefits you will receive a Nevada EBT Card in the mail which you can use for purchasing allowable food items at authorized grocery retailers.  Your approved benefit amount will automatically be deposited into your EBT account monthly until your term expires.

      Using Your SNAP Benefits:

      You can use SNAP benefits at most stores that sell food. SNAP benefits can only be used for food and for plants and seeds to grow food for your household to eat. The cashier will advise you which items are not allowed.

      NOTE: Items purchased with SNAP benefits are exempt from sales tax.

        SNAP Benefits CANNOT be used for:

        • Any non-food item, such as pet foods, soaps, paper products, household supplies, grooming items, toothpaste and cosmetics;
        • Alcoholic beverages and tobacco;
        • Vitamins and medicines;
        • Any food that will be eaten in the store;
        • Hot foods that are ready to eat; or
        • Any food marketed to be heated in the store.
        Bad Items

          Reporting On Your Household Circumstances:

          If you or your household members are receiving SNAP benefits only, you must report if your household moves out of the state of Nevada or if your household's gross income (income before any deductions) exceeds 130% of the poverty level. The amount of income used to determine your household's SNAP benefits is provided on your most recent notice of eligibility. These changes must be reported within 10 days from the date of the change.

          If you or any household member is receiving TANF or Medicaid benefits you must report all changes in employment status (got/lost a job, promotion, full-time to part-time or part-time to full-time, hourly rate of pay or salaried rate of pay); changes of $50 or more in unearned income such as Social Security, unemployment, veteran's benefits; changes in expenses or someone moving in or out of your home. These changes must be reported by the fifth of the month following the month the change happened. Please print, complete, sign and mail, fax or drop off;

          to your Local Welfare Office.

          It is important you report required changes, so your household gets the right amount of SNAP benefits. If you get extra benefits because you have not reported the right information, you will have to pay back the value of the extra SNAP benefits.