Water and Sewer Assistance Program-Apply

Water and Sewer Assistance Program - Apply

Apply for the Water and Sewer Assistance Program:

For a printable application form, click on the button(s) below.

Water and Sewer Assistance Program Application 

Solicitud De Asistencia para Servicios de Agua y Alcantarilla

Paper applications may be obtained through any EAP Office, any Welfare Office, the Customer Service Unit (CSU) or through one of many Intake Sites around the State. Intake Sites will also provide assistance in completing and mailing applications to the EAP Office. 

Water and Sewer Assistance Program Application Process:

Submit a completed application with the following verification:

  • Proof of ALL income for EVERY PERSON in the household for at least the last thirty (30) days and;
  • Provide a complete copy of your rental agreement / lease (listing all persons in your household) or a copy of your mortgage statement and;
  • Proof of identity for the head of household and;
  • Proof of citizenship or legal status if born outside of the United States and;
  • Copies of your most recent water/sewer bills and;
  • If the utility bill is not in the applicant’s name, proof of identity for the individual listed on the utility bill is required along with written authorization for the applicant to apply and;
  • If the household expenses exceed the household income, proof of how the household is meeting their needs.


Completed WSAP applications are accepted via mail, fax, through DWSS office drop boxes, DWSS lobbies, or our email at energyassistance@dwss.nv.gov.